Saturday, February 27, 2010

Adding to the hunger

The suffering of the people of Haiti continues but this time it is not from the result of the earth-quake , but as a result of the capitalist market system .
We read here that after the Jan. 12 quake, 15,000 metric tons of donated U.S. rice have arrived.

Paul O'Brien of Oxfam America says the lessons of the harm of flooding a country like Haiti with subsidized rice should have been learned a long time ago.
"The days are gone when we can throw up our hands in terms of unintended consequences; we know now what these injections can do to markets," he said.

And what exactly are the consequences ?

Renan Reynold, a Haitian farmer explains - "I can't make any money off my rice with all the foreign rice there is now.If I can't make any money, I can't feed my family."

No comments: