Friday, July 23, 2010

Questions

Akash Das is only 13. Yet he has a huge responsibility on his young shoulders. At 13, he is the main breadwinner for his family.

"Ma got me employed at a roadside food stall. I have been working there for the last three years. I earn about Rs 70 per day [10 hour day]. Since my employer buys me clothes twice a year, I give my entire salary to Ma. At times, I feel God is unfair and unjust. Ever since childhood, I have seen poverty, misery and tears. Why didn't I see any improvement in our lives over the past few years. My employer often sends me to deliver food to several homes in the locality. There I see children of my age enjoying themselves -- they go to school, watch television, play football, study and lead a comfortable life. Why can't I have a life like them? What have I done to deserve this life of poverty and hard labour? Who can provide me with an answer?" he asks, tears rolling down his eyes.

India has the distinction of being home to the largest child labour force in the world, with an estimated 30 per cent of the world's working kids living there.

No comments: