Monday, November 25, 2013

THE BALLAD OF A RIGHT CHARLIE! (Poem)


THE BALLAD OF A RIGHT CHARLIE!

(25/10/13 Buckingham Palace denies that
Prince Charles is dreading becoming King.)

When at my Coronation I’m,
Anointed as your King;                   
I’m going to be an idle fop,
And not do anything.                     
I’m going to lay down the law,
That it’s my Royal right;
To do sweet f.a. every day,
And even less at night!

Because whilst I’m the Royal Heir,
I still have to pretend;
That I am quite industrious,
And thus have to attend, 
A few engagements quite nearby,
That are a frightful drag;
Believe me that unveiling loos,
Is really not my bag!

It’s claimed that my engagements fill,
Each day of every year;
Because all my advisors say,
It really must appear,
That I be seen by everyone,
As a hard-working guy;
Although, as I’ve admitted here,
Most visits are close by. 

I’ll spend ten minutes opening,
A factory making glue;
And then ten minutes looking thrilled,
At the adjacent two,
That counts as three engagements on,
My own Press Agent’s score;
At most less than an hour’s work,
Oh crikey! What a bore!

I’ll then retire to change my clothes,
Including a fresh truss;
And then go shooting Geese or Grice, (1)
With Daddy’s blunderbuss.
To demonstrate to all on Earth,
How those of noble mien;
Are mean enough to thus pretend,
Their fowl play’s always Green!

The Earth’s Environmental health,
Is my sole job to save;
From my own Carbon Footprints ‘til,
I reach my Abbey grave.
‘Cause being most important means,
I need not justify;
My usage of the Royal Train,
Or when I choose to fly.

Conspicuous consumption is,
Without a single doubt;
The greatest evil on this Earth,
But please don’t kick me out!
I talk to flowers every day,
And try and do my bit;
I play sweet music to my plants,
Oh dear! I am a twit!

I’ll save the world from Devil’s Veg.,
(Those beastly GM crops!)                            
So I instruct my Nanny when,
She cycles to the shops, 
To buy the best organic food,
Which I know isn’t cheap;
But quite unlike you load of mugs,
I don’t pay for my keep!  
     
The reason I first introduced,
And launched the Prince’s Trust;
Was to help spotty yobs like you,
To earn a measly crust.
The British Monarchy is like,
My private charity;
It’s helping spotty yobs like you,
Keep dotty nobs like me!

When I am crowned as your new King,
I’ll occupy Buck Hice; (1)
(Received Pronunciation is,
So jolly twee and nice!)
My speeches will be well-received,
By all the likes of you;
My subjects, who I subject to,
Some subjects quite taboo. (2)

For when I am your well-loved King,
I will be speaking out;
On all those many topics that,
I know naff-all about! 
For as ‘Defender of the Faith’, (3)
It’s my first job to try;
To set your moral compasses,
To that pie in the sky!

I’m qualified to speak upon,
The woes of normal life;
As now I am a Pensioner (4)
I suffer real-life strife,
Can you believe my Butler Jeeves,
Confessed last week to me;
That he’d mislaid the Crumpet Cakes,
And ruined Birthday Tea! (4)

As Heir I earned the O.M. gong, (4)
Because I took on board;
The field of Homeopathy,
Which like faith’s not a fraud.
In fact I’ve rows of medals from,
Both peacetime and from war;
For courage and for bravery,
They stack up by the score.

I’ve uniforms with so much gilt,
They almost drip with yolk;
With golden epaulettes and braid,
To emphasise the joke. 
Yes I’ll admit this poppycock,
Appears as somewhat trite;
But all this ritual masks the fact,
That I’m a parasite!

When I am crowned I will enjoy,
A huge excess of bling;
My toothpaste squeezed by C.P-B., 
Meet for a brand new King!
But as I’ve now reached Sixty-Five, (3)
It’s getting a bit late;
Oh! Mummy, Mummy, hurry-up,
And say you’ll abdicate!     

(1) Royal ‘Received Pronunciation’ for Grouse and House.
(2) Charles is noted for meddling in others affairs.
(3) Or “Defender of Faiths”.
(4) 14/11/2013: Charles was 65.
(5) Order of Merit.

© Richard Layton                

No comments: